About Rice Crop Manager Advisory Service for rice-based farming
RCM Advisory Service is a web-based platform that consolidates Rice Crop Manager and complementary decision making tools and services into one integrated advisory and information service for rice-based farming in the Philippines.
The core of the RCM Advisory Service is Rice Crop Manager, which provides farmers with a personalized crop and nutrient management recommendation for rice fields through a one-page printout and text messages to the phone of the farmer. The RCM Advisory Service combines Rice Crop Manager with additional tools and services aiming to reduce production costs, increase yields, increase net income, and facilitate a professional extension service deploying appropriate information at correct times to farmers through information and communications technology (ICT). These additional tools and services include:
- Field registration to facilitate determination by Global Positioning System (GPS) of the area of each field and then to help adjust inputs such as fertilizer to match the exact field area,
- Farmer registration to facilitate the issuance of an RCM farmer ID card providing access to historical information on the fields and farming practices of the farmer,
- Farmer registration to receive text messages with reminders for recommended farming practices and additional information from the Philippines Department of Agriculture (DA),
- Selection of a rice variety matching recommendations by DA and the traits of a variety preferred by a farmer, and
- Monitoring of RCM farmers after harvest to determine a farmer’s actual practices in the cropping season and the farmer’s uptake of the RCM recommendation.
The RCM Advisory Service enables the use of historical rice production information from farmers and fields to improve future recommendations for the farmers and fields. It complements services such as the Pinoy Rice Knowledge Bank, the Rice Knowledge Bank, and Rice Doctor, which provide general information on rice production.
The development, maintenance, and deployment of the RCM Advisory Service are supported by the Philippines Department of Agriculture (DA) National Rice Program through the DA Bureau of Agricultural Research (DA-BAR) and the DA Agricultural Training Institute (DA-ATI).
in collaboration with
RCMPH Companion App
RCMPH Companion app is a complementary tool to RCM that enables generation of RCM recommendation via phone signal rather than Internet. It is an alternative system for locations with weak or no Internet connectivity and with SMART network connection. The success of generating RCM recommendation via this companion app may differ from one location to another.
It sends SMS requests to the RCM server and receives the RCM recommendation provided that RCM user has:
- Android phone with SIM card
- Good cellular network signal
» On going maintenance
Instructions for using RCMPH Companion App
*Note: Follow this instruction only when you are using an Android phone/smartphone with SIM card.
Install RCMPH Companion App
Connect to the Internet.
Go to this Download site.
Tap My Files>Download History folder from your device. Locate and tap the download file.
Tap Install. Wait until installation is complete.
- Connect to the Internet. Go to this Download site.
Interview a farmer with RCM
- Go to the previously bookmarked RCM site in your device https://phapps.irri.org/ph/rcm.
In offline mode, interview a farmer to answer the RCM questions.
After completing the interview, tap .
Answer Yes/Oo when asked if Do you want to store the collected RCM information?
Retrieve the RCM interview
Generate Recommendation using RCMPH Companion App
Open the RCMPH Companion App from the device by tapping them icon.
Enter the device’s mobile number. Click Save.
Tap Load Answer (or Load An...) button.
Browse and select the RCMPH text file you want to generate.
Tap Send button. Notice the yellow progress bar and wait until no progress bar is visible.
*Note: Do not close the RCMPH Companion App while waiting for all the text messages (9-11 messages) are received. This is indicated when View button is enabled already or in yellow.
Check and wait for the SMS from DA in your device. Once all of the SMS are received, the View Recommendation
(or View Recom…) button will be enabled. Tap View Recommendation button.
- Open the RCMPH Companion App from the device by tapping them icon.
Department of Agriculture
(632) 273 2418
(632) 273 2474 / 0920 946 2474
Elliptical Road, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
International Rice Research Institute
(632) 580 5600 / (6349) 536 2701-05 ext 2336
Maahas, Los Baños, Laguna